Trial balance is the complete list of debit and credit balances from ledger accounts that is prepared by the businesses at a given date. Trail balance has two sides such as debit and credit sides that should be equal because equal sides make it sure that your ledger accounts are properly maintained under double entry system. It is best way to gauge the efficiency of an entity accounts. Some people think that balancing of two sides reflects accuracy of financial statement but this can be due to some missing transactions therefore these types of errors are known as error of omission. Trial balance sheet is best way to figure out budget of your company because trial balance helps you to balance your income and expenditure. You can easily prepare an accurate trial balance sheet without any problem by maintaining proper ledger account.
Tips to Keep Trial Balance Accurate
It is necessary to design accurate trial balance in order to design other financial statements and for your help I am going to share some tips keep trial balance accurate:
- In first step, you have to determine the total debits of your company such as assets or expenses. Trial balance should include cash on hand, inventory and depreciation of properties on the left hand side.
- Trial balance will help you to design profit and loss account, income statement and balance sheet so you have to check for the liabilities, revenue and equity. Liabilities and expenses both are different because liabilities are money owed that you will pay in future.
- Sort your items in different categories to prepare an accurate trial balance sheet. For instance, you can prepare an operation category to cover payroll costs and insurance expenses. Do not create more than six categories because it will make your work complicated.
- Write the name of categories on the left side of your sheet and write the names of items inside the categories. Use bold fonts and capital words to highlight names of the categories.
- Second column is designed to add numeric debit amounts that are written next to appropriate headings. Credit and debit amounts are written on the right and left sides of the trial balance respectively. Always use parenthesis to put the negative amounts.
- You can add different rows and columns in the bottom of the sheet to manage your trial balance. After completing your trial balance you have to check the total of both sides to see either the numbers match or not. If you find any error then you have to check your general ledge account.
- In order to note down depreciation, you have to divide the value of property in the total number of years and then divide it again with 12 to get total figure.
- You have to create a new sheet in the beginning of each new month but you can also design trial balance on weekly basis.
Here is preview of our free Trial Balance Sheet Template created using MS Excel,
Click here to download this Trial Balance Sheet Template
You might also be interested in ...
- Profit and Loss Sheet Template Profit and loss statement is an important financial statement that is used to clear picture of financial performance of your business. It is designed with balance sheet and cash flow statement because it helps a lot to get net profit of the whole accounting period. It summarize income and expenses of the business therefore it is prepared periodically either annually, quarterly or […]
- Accounting Ledger Template Daily activities of business are called transactions and these transactions need proper recording. The first step of recording transactions is to journalize and second step is to post transactions in ledger. Ledger document is also known as ‘principle or chief book of accounts’. In accounting ledger financial information is classified through its nature and relevance. Here we will […]
- Accounts Ledger Template General ledger accounts are very important for any organizations because these serve as financial summary of an organization. Basic purpose of general ledger is to find out current balance of important areas therefore it is necessary to properly maintain accounts ledger. Usually accounts ledger is divided into four basic parts including assets, liabilities, income and expenses. Assets […]
- Accounts Receivable Report Template Accounts receivable are very important for each and every organization therefore different companies prepare a special schedule to maintain their accounts receivable. Accounting jobs are really rewarding jobs because fast-paced atmosphere and great demand of accounts receivable managers make it an ideal position for those who have capability to do this job. It can be ideal position and […]
- Credit Memo Template The phrase credit memo may be new for folks however is a very common and important term in business. Credit memo or notes are of two types. A credit memo or note is a document that is written by a company to its customers in case when the company made some mistake. The purpose of writing a credit memo is to notify the customers and therefore it should be simple, clear and concise. In […]
- Vendor Comparison Sheet Template Vendor is a person or a company that provide one or more than one product or services and in return, they get money. A vendor can be a single person or a company that either works locally or internationally. You always need a vendor either you want to start a new business or want to improve the existing one. Different businesses or persons need different kind of vendors according to […]
- Net Present Value Calculator Template Although every business related person or an accountant knows what a net present value is but a common person can’t, who doesn’t deal with the finance related problems in his company. If we describe net present value in simple words, it’s the difference between the present cash inflow and outflow. It’s used in capital budgeting to analyze the profitability of a project. By finding the […]
- Annual Report Template Annual report is a document that contains comprehensive information regarding company’s activities proceeded throughout the year. Company’s activities and financial affairs are analyzed with help of this report by the concerned persons. Often annual report is provided to shareholders. Judicial matters of companies are also settled with help of annual report of the company. Bank annual […]
- Free Quotation Template Price quotations are price estimates based on our deliberations of your testing needs. Price quotes are free of cost and are binding on imminent evaluation if accepted in script before they end, which is naturally of 30 days, but not fastening on you. If you do not wish to receive an unexpired price quote, you may refuse it or demand for a new price quote as your preparations change […]
- Packing List Template Packing list is often used to show the information about order delivery. Generally packing list is known as shipping list and packing slip. Packing slip shows the number of items and kind of items on the behalf of the outside supplier and vendors to the clients/contractors. Packing slips are mostly used in term of large scale organizations. This particular document is prepared by the […]