Before discussing and explaining the official memo format, it is good to define memo or a memorandum. A memorandum commonly known as memo is an official communicating tool that is created for a particular topic in order to make the employees understand. A memo has great importance and a key role in the business communication and is commonly used in all business types. When it comes to communicating certain information within an office or an organization the best mean is memo that helps the sender to convey the message or information in a clear, concrete, concise and precise manner. Though, writing a memo is not a difficult task but a good and effective memo always need to have basic writing skills and a standard format of an official memo.
Official memo format
In the effectiveness and concreteness of an official memo, the format of the memo has a vital role and therefore writing an official memo is considered as a skill. An official memorandum consists of three parts, the introduction, body of the memo and conclusion. Companies are free to choose a format to write these three parts in different styles. There are a lot of companies, especially big companies and organizations that have their own pre-written standard format of official memo to use in their offices and organization. Some other memo formats are available on the internet from where people can download the one suiting their requirements.
Here is preview of this Memo Format created using MS Word,
The following steps will explain an action and standard format of an official memo.
- Prior to the introduction, it is important to include certain important headings in an official memo. These are, “To”, where you have to put the name of the recipient along with job title, if the recipient is a group then no need to mention job titles of all, “From” where you have to write the name of the sender along with the designation, “Date” type the current date on which you will send the memo and “Subject” where you have to write the purpose of the memo.
- Now it’s time to write the introduction of the memo, that’s what about the memo is?. There is no need to include headings before writing the introduction, body and conclusion. Simply start and write a precise and clear introduction about the purpose of the memo.
- Include the body of the memo in order to explain the issue that you have written on the subject. It is good to write the body with headings or bullets as this will help your recipients in understanding the message. Emphasize on the issue and try to discuss it clearly along with your expectation and the required action.
- Finally, include the conclusion of the official memo at the end of the memo. The conclusion should be about 4 to 5 lines.
- Review the memo for possible grammar and spelling errors before sending. Always try to use action words, active verbs, active voice and simple and clear language. The memo should be clear and straightforward so that the reader immediately gets your point you want to make him/her understand.
Click here to download this Memo Format
You might also be interested in ...
- Free Memo Template Before going to tell you the numerous benefits of an interoffice memo, it is good to define what an interoffice memo is. Interoffice memo or memorandum is a written document that is used as a communication tool in the office in order to share important information, amendments, calls for a meeting, time schedule etc with employees. In the professional world, memos and especially […]
- Interoffice Memo Template Inter Office Memorandum (memo) is basically and purposely an internal official document used commonly by many organisations today. Its prime cause is effective communication within the organisation on an internal matter. This memo is actually as equivalent to a normal business letter but recipients are only company employees. The need to through an inter office memo in an organisation […]
- Free Newsletter Template Newsletters are printed form of some specific information. Generally newsletters are used by the business community. Most commonly, it is sent by email to a selected group of people. It is a short and easy to read and understand letter containing necessary information about certain events. These newsletters are designed according to the interests and needs of respective people. By […]
- Credit Memo Template The phrase credit memo may be new for folks however is a very common and important term in business. Credit memo or notes are of two types. A credit memo or note is a document that is written by a company to its customers in case when the company made some mistake. The purpose of writing a credit memo is to notify the customers and therefore it should be simple, clear and concise. In […]
- Salary Comparison Sheet Template A salary comparison tool works for both kinds, in case you are searching for a job or already doing a job but just want to make sure that you are getting paid rightly. When you are looking for a job, it’s important to know your actual worth to an employer. You should not rush to accept a post if you are not sure about the salary you will get. Job satisfaction highly depends upon your […]
- Accounts Receivable Report Template Accounts receivable are very important for each and every organization therefore different companies prepare a special schedule to maintain their accounts receivable. Accounting jobs are really rewarding jobs because fast-paced atmosphere and great demand of accounts receivable managers make it an ideal position for those who have capability to do this job. It can be ideal position and […]
- Statement of Service Template Statement of service is just a simple document which confirms that any former employee was employed with the company, and which provides brief details regarding that employment. A statement of services is created in order to deliver information, with results from work done in the past. There are basically three main things which this statement includes and that are what the employee’s […]
- Job Estimate Template Job estimate is a document that contains information about the services and its costs to the customers. That particular document is typically used by services oriented organizations. In this form, detailed information is entered about some particular services that would be provided by the company. The fundamental purpose of writing this document is to retain the potential customers in […]
- Round Cycle Diagram A round cycle diagram is a graphical representation in which a continued process is shown on the charts. This chart or diagram shows how a series of events or steps interacts with the entire system and repeats itself. It depends on each individual situation that how the cycle is represented. For example, sometimes circles are used and they are connected with arrows to each other and […]
- Business Plan Template Business plan is a formal statement delivered by the organization/company to identify its long-term and short-term goals and objectives. Each type of organization set its goals whether it is for-profit or non-profit organization. In business plan, the previous history of organization’s attainments is also described. Mostly organization’s business plans typically focus on financial […]