The phrase credit memo may be new for folks however is a very common and important term in business. Credit memo or notes are of two types. A credit memo or note is a document that is written by a company to its customers in case when the company made some mistake. The purpose of writing a credit memo is to notify the customers and therefore it should be simple, clear and concise. In most cases when a buyer finds a product defective among the numbers of products they deal with the company, buyer informs the company and the company issues the credit memo.
The second type of a credit memo is a document that is issued by the bank to its customer in order to inform the customer or bank depositors that his/her net balance is increased due to a transaction or event other than making deposits. For example when a bank collects the receivables of its customer then they will issue a credit memo to inform their customer about the activity and the net balance.
Information that should include in a perfect credit memo
Basic information about the sender
On the top of the paper or sheet, the sender or designer of a credit memo should write the heading of “credit memo”, then should write important information including the name of the business or bank, address, contact details like phone number, fax and email, website URL and the identification number of taxes.
Provide customer or depositor’s information
At the right side of the credit memo sheet, provide important and basic information about the customer or the depositor. If your customer is a business, then write the name of the business, the code of identification you use in your company for that customer and the contact information. For a bank credit memo write the name of the customer and contact information.
Write all other informative codes or number highlighted
Highlight the issuing date and the unique credit memo number that you have assigned, the invoice number and the payment terms. In bank related credit memo, it is important to include the original invoice number and reference number about the transaction, payment mode like cash or installments etc.
Include information related to the product (for business related memos only)
Provide the information related the credited items like quantity, item identification number, description of the items like its features etc, the price of the item and the reason of crediting. It is good to make separate columns for writing all this information for making it more understandable. Provide proper headings for each column.
Sum the prices of all the items and highlight them with a heading of sub total. Then add all the sales taxes amount to the subtotal amount and highlight the answer as total.
Review the credit memo thoroughly before sending it out. Check spelling errors, grammatical errors and tone of the document. Also check that you have provided all the information related to you and your client accurately.
Here is preview of this free Credit Memo Template,
Click here to download this Credit Memo Template
You might also be interested in ...
- Free Memo Template Before going to tell you the numerous benefits of an interoffice memo, it is good to define what an interoffice memo is. Interoffice memo or memorandum is a written document that is used as a communication tool in the office in order to share important information, amendments, calls for a meeting, time schedule etc with employees. In the professional world, memos and especially […]
- Interoffice Memo Template Inter Office Memorandum (memo) is basically and purposely an internal official document used commonly by many organisations today. Its prime cause is effective communication within the organisation on an internal matter. This memo is actually as equivalent to a normal business letter but recipients are only company employees. The need to through an inter office memo in an organisation […]
- Accounts Receivable Report Template Accounts receivable are very important for each and every organization therefore different companies prepare a special schedule to maintain their accounts receivable. Accounting jobs are really rewarding jobs because fast-paced atmosphere and great demand of accounts receivable managers make it an ideal position for those who have capability to do this job. It can be ideal position and […]
- Accounts Ledger Template General ledger accounts are very important for any organizations because these serve as financial summary of an organization. Basic purpose of general ledger is to find out current balance of important areas therefore it is necessary to properly maintain accounts ledger. Usually accounts ledger is divided into four basic parts including assets, liabilities, income and expenses. Assets […]
- Net Present Value Calculator Template Although every business related person or an accountant knows what a net present value is but a common person can’t, who doesn’t deal with the finance related problems in his company. If we describe net present value in simple words, it’s the difference between the present cash inflow and outflow. It’s used in capital budgeting to analyze the profitability of a project. By finding the […]
- Trial Balance Sheet Template Trial balance is the complete list of debit and credit balances from ledger accounts that is prepared by the businesses at a given date. Trail balance has two sides such as debit and credit sides that should be equal because equal sides make it sure that your ledger accounts are properly maintained under double entry system. It is best way to gauge the efficiency of an entity accounts. […]
- Profit and Loss Sheet Template Profit and loss statement is an important financial statement that is used to clear picture of financial performance of your business. It is designed with balance sheet and cash flow statement because it helps a lot to get net profit of the whole accounting period. It summarize income and expenses of the business therefore it is prepared periodically either annually, quarterly or […]
- Accounting Ledger Template Daily activities of business are called transactions and these transactions need proper recording. The first step of recording transactions is to journalize and second step is to post transactions in ledger. Ledger document is also known as ‘principle or chief book of accounts’. In accounting ledger financial information is classified through its nature and relevance. Here we will […]
- Memo Format Before discussing and explaining the official memo format, it is good to define memo or a memorandum. A memorandum commonly known as memo is an official communicating tool that is created for a particular topic in order to make the employees understand. A memo has great importance and a key role in the business communication and is commonly used in all business types. When it comes to […]
- Free Newsletter Template Newsletters are printed form of some specific information. Generally newsletters are used by the business community. Most commonly, it is sent by email to a selected group of people. It is a short and easy to read and understand letter containing necessary information about certain events. These newsletters are designed according to the interests and needs of respective people. By […]